Monday, January 23, 2012

Chicken Curry

  Exclusively my version


I am a curious cook, who is keen on figuring out why most people have fond memories of some dishes, a whole lifetime.. I've often heard from people of my parent's generation talk high of dishes they ate during their childhood and they still say, "there's nothing like it today.." :) Now, that is something that leaves me wondering, "Really? Whyyy??" But, unfortunately, by the time I started cooking, I had none of my grandparents living :( So, I decided to dig out some old memories out of my mother and some elders, to trace out those long lost secrets.. Well, my mother says, back in those days, most ingredients used for cooking were usually gown fresh in their backyards.. spices like chillies, turmeric, pepper etc. were all sun-dried at home itself and were freshly ground in a stone mortar each time it was used, unlike the ready-made powders available today.. Well, that rang a bell! :D YES!! So that would have probably been one of the secrets!! :) and that is what gave me a lead into this recipe.. Chicken curry made with freshly home-ground spices! My observation indeed proved to be true!! :) I wont say anything more.. ;) Experience it for yourself! :) 

Following the ingredients and recipe exactly, is essential to attain the desired results.

Ingredients :







Chicken, medium pieces
-

1kg
Coconut oil
-

4 tablespoons
Onion, thinly sliced
-

2 medium
Ginger
-

1 inch piece
Garlic
-

7 large cloves
Green chilli
-

2 nos.
Shallots
-

10 nos.
Curry leaves
-

3 stems
Turmeric powder
-

1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Powder
-

3/4 teaspoon
Coriander powder
-

1 and 1/2 teaspoons
My masala mix (refer to recipe)
-

1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Kasoori methi
-

1 teaspoon
Dried red chillies, seeded
-

3-4  nos.
Coriander leaves
-

A handful
Coconut milk, thick extract
-

1 cup
Water
-

1 cups
Salt
-

To taste.

Preparation Method :

Clean and rinse the chicken pieces.

Coarsely grind the garlic, ginger, shallots, dried red chilies.. Then add my magic masala mix.. :)


add kasoori methi.. and blend into an perfect aromatic mix. :)



In a skillet, heat coconut oil and throw in the chopped onions, sprinkle in some salt for easy browning, throw in some fresh curry leaves and sauté until onion starts to brown. Then, add the coarsely ground herb and spice mixture and sauté until the onions really brown.


Add the turmeric, chilli and coriander powders and blend well.


Add the chicken pieces and blend in the masala well and roast for 5 minutes. Then, add the chopped green chilli and coriander leaves. You could add this either at this stage or at the final stage when the chicken pieces are cooked well.


Add required amount of salt and pour in the coconut milk and mix into a fine gravy and cook the chicken in the gravy for 5 minutes. Then add the water give a gentle stir and close with lid and allow to cook. You can also cook in a pressure cooker if you are out of time. But nothing beats slow cooking in a skillet.


Serves well with rice, roties or anything.  


Try it and if you like it, don't forget to share your experience. :)

7 comments:

  1. hai!!!!!
    i didnt try yet but my first look made me to taste it i'll definetely try it... this z my first visit 2 ur blog & it is
    best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Laiji's Creative Corner :) Happy to have you too be a part of it :) Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Your style is unique compared to other people I've read stuff from.
    Many thanks for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark
    this blog.

    Here is my blog purest Garcinia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Sorry! Your message was hiding away in Spam box! Didn't notice it until now.. Went through your blog. That's an amazing Wedding Blog!! :) Wow!! I ought to share it with the brides-to-be I know! :) Thank you for stopping by.. :)

      Delete
  3. I tried this recipe today.. it's yummy.. expecting more recipes from you. 😊

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.. :) Write to me here..